Thomas Glessner founded the National Institute of Family and Life Advocates nearly 30 years ago.
- Representing a network of more than 1,600 pregnancy centers and medical clinics across the nation, NIFLA has challenged laws targeting its members in several states — including California, Hawaii, Illinois, North Dakota and New York.
- NIFLA featured prominently in the Supreme Court case NIFLA v. Becerra which successfully challenged a California law forcing pro-life pregnancy centers to advertise for abortion. The NIFLA ruling in favor of the free speech rights of pro-life pregnancy centers and all Americans was released on June 26, 2018.
- He is also the author of several books. His most recent book entitled "Created Equal: Reflections On The Unalienable Right To Life," highlights the constitutional protection of our most vulnerable citizens, children in the womb.
- Mr. Glessner has appeared on or been published in media outlets such as Fox News, USA TODAY, Tucker Carlson, CBN News, EWTN, 700 Club, Washington Examiner, Washington Times, Townhall, National Review, The Federalist, Washington Post and many more.
- He is a graduate of the University School of Law in Seattle, Washington in 1977 and is a member of the bar associations for the states of Washington, Virginia, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
To book interviews with Thomas Glessner, J.D., please contact NIFLA’s media team at [email protected].
Anne O’Connor has been with the National Institute of Family and Life Advocates since 1993. She served as NIFLA’s general counsel until she joined the staff full-time as NIFLA Vice President of Legal Affairs in April 2013.
During her tenure with NIFLA, O’Connor has been responsible for writing the monthly NIFLA Legal Tips, performing about 1,000 legal audits, consulting with hundreds of centers about the medical clinic conversion process, and teaching at board trainings, conference workshops, webinars and at NIFLA’s Institute of Limited Obstetric Ultrasound.
- She also has written and updated many of NIFLA’s publications, including the Legal Primer, the Medical Clinic Conversion Manual, the Medical Policies & Procedures, the Basic Operational Policies & Procedures, the Employment Handbook, and the HIPAA Voluntary Compliance Manual.
- O’Connor acted as co-counsel on the pro-life Supreme Court case NIFLA v. Becerra.
- She has also been published by or featured in media outlets such as The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Hill, The Washington Examiner, CBN News and more.
Audrey Stout has been actively involved in pregnancy centers since 1987. She was a nurse manager at pregnancy centers in Marietta, GA and Sandy, OR during their conversion to medical clinics. She developed and taught a curriculum for post-abortive women, served on a pregnancy medical clinic board of directors.
- In addition to writing curriculum and instructing with NIFLA's Institute in Limited Obstetrical Ultrasound 2000, Stout has written NIFLA’s monthly Clinic Tips, provided consultation with hundreds of pregnancy medical clinics, spoken at numerous conferences on nursing and sonography.
- She has trained medical professionals in OB sonography across the U.S. and in Ukraine. Stout challenges her students to always pursue growth in knowledge, skills and ability to serve the women and their unborn with integrity, compassion and excellence.
Katherine joined the NIFLA staff in December 2007. Her main area of responsibility rests in identifying private foundations which provide grant opportunities to enhance NIFLA's financial base.
- In addition to grant-writing, she oversees donor development, tracks NIFLA statistics, serves as a resource for pregnancy centers pursuing medical clinic conversion and provides general customer service to members who contact the NIFLA. She brings to the ministry a background in fundraising, sales and customer service.
Angie Thomas serves as a staff attorney for NIFLA. She also serves as the associate director for Louisiana Right to Life, specializing in development, legislative advocacy and education about life issues.
- Prior to these positions, she served as CEO of the Woman’s New Life Clinic, a professional counseling and medical clinic offering life-affirming services for women in unplanned pregnancies, post-abortive men and women, and women’s health.
- Thomas has been featured in outlets such as the Washington Examiner, Daily Caller, NPR and many more.
Dr. Byron C. Calhoun, MD, FACOG, FACS, MBA is a diplomat of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology and is board certified in general Obstetrics/Gynecology and the sub-specialty of Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
- He has authored over 60 peer review articles in the obstetric and gynecologic literature, presented over 100 scientific papers, participated in over 40 research projects, and published several articles on perinatal hospice. He is an original author of the perinatal hospice concept, which provides a multidisciplinary care to families with a lethal prenatal diagnosis.
- Calhoun serves as professor and vice-chair in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at West Virginia University-Charleston.
Dotsy Davis, BSRT, RDMS, RVT, is an instructor for NIFLA. She has over 30 years of obstetrical ultrasound experience in OB/Gyn offices, pregnancy medical clinics and as a college program director.
- Davis started a college-based medical sonography program and facilitated the program's accreditation through the JRCDMS.
- Her heart is to serve in this ministry for His purposes and His glory.
Karen D. Poehailos is a family physician in Virginia. She currently serves as NIFLA Assistant Medical Director and on the NIFLA board.
- Poehailos became a physician volunteer for the Charlottesville Pregnancy Center in 1997. She moved on to serve as its volunteer medical director.
- From 2018 to 2021, Poehailos was the regional medical director for ThriVe Central Va. Women’s HealthCare. She supervised medical services including pregnancy tests, performing and reading limited OB ultrasounds, and STI/STD testing and treatment at its four locations in Central Virginia.
- Poehailos become a member of the Abortion Pill Reversal hotline in 2015. She now serves on the medical advisory team for the Abortion Pill Rescue Network.
- Poehailos is a graduate of the University of Virginia School of Medicine and its Family Medicine Residency. She is a certified fertility care medical consultant and a FEMM medical provider working with women on recurrent miscarriage, infertility, and irregular cycles without IVF or hormonal contraception.
- Local secular media and national Catholic media outlets have interviewed Poehailos on abortion pill reversal and other pro-life issues and natural family planning.
- Poehailos will always be grateful to NIFLA for providing her first limited obstetrical ultrasound training and for all the services they provide to the pregnancy medical clinic movement.